Did you know that summer and sunny days are a particularly delicate period for dogs? Not only are they sensitive to the sun and heat, but they are also exposed to the risk of wasp or bee stings. And this is not uncommon!
While most of the time these stings are harmless and represent a simple temporary inconvenience, they can also -in some cases- require the intervention of a veterinarian. It all depends on the sensitivity of the subject to the venom of these small flying beasts.
In any case, wasp or bee stings in dogs remain painful for the animal and should always be taken seriously. It is important to know how to react.
What to do in case of a wasp or bee sting?
If your dog is squirming and squealing in unending pain, he has probably been stung by a wasp or bee while walking.
What to do if a wasp sting occurs?
Check it out…
The first thing to do is to make sure that the sting comes from a wasp. To do this, you need to check your dog’s body for the sting that caused the pain. If you don’t find it buried in your dog’s skin, it is a wasp. Unlike bees, this hymenopteran insect does not separate from its stinger when it attacks.
The goal here is to detect any physical and behavioral changes in your dog. You must therefore take the time to observe him for several hours after the bite. Check for possible symptoms: severe weakness, swelling, unusual weakness, swelling at the bite site, difficulty breathing, breathing difficulties, hives, various digestive disorders such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea… If you detect any of these discomforts, you must react quickly!
What to do in case of a bee sting?
Unlike the wasp, the bee leaves behind its sting after the sting. This makes the care a little more complicated. So if you find a sting while checking your dog’s body, it should be removed as soon as possible. To do this, gently rub the affected area with your finger to gently push it out. It is not advisable to use other means or tools such as tweezers, as this would increase the risk of the venom spreading further into the sting.
How to recognize the severity of a bee or wasp sting?
In most cases, a bee or wasp sting in a dog is just a bad time to pass. But it is not always so. Some stings can be more serious than others. The degree of severity of a wasp sting depends on the area involved and the risk of allergy to the animal.
Where was your dog stung?
If your dog has been stung in the limbs, the consequences will be less severe. Of course, he will have a strong burning sensation that will probably make him squeak. But the risk of complications is low. However, if your dog has been stung in the head, muzzle, or mouth, the sting is very dangerous because it can cause edema.
Look for signs of allergy
The signs of an allergic reaction are usually characteristic enough that you can easily detect and react to them. The danger is that the symptoms can evolve rapidly and significantly alter the animal’s state of health. If you detect the slightest allergic reaction to the contained venom, consult a veterinarian immediately. Anaphylactic shock can be life-threatening.
Relieving your dog in case of a bee or wasp sting
Just as in humans, bee or wasp stings in dogs can be very painful. Here are our tips to relieve them:
1- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with half a glass of water. Then, using a soaked cotton pad, dab the affected area with this concoction.
2- To reduce the inflammatory process, apply an ice pack to the pricked area. This will considerably reduce the pain.
3- Use an aspivenin on the affected area to aspirate the venom as much as possible.
Bee or wasp sting on a dog, when to consult?
If your dog shows no signs of allergy, it is not mandatory to consult a veterinarian. However, if your dog shows all the symptoms and is weakening, it is advisable to consult a specialist so that he can establish a diagnosis and prescribe an appropriate treatment. The veterinarian may depend on the case, give an injection of cortisone to relieve the inflammation.